Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Playtime

When I decided to become a Kindermusik educator three years ago, I had no idea that I would do the teaching myself.  I thought I would just hire some others and just do the marketing for them as business owner.  However, Kindermusik's model is to have all owners also be educators, so I took their semester-long course to be certified as an owner/educator.  When I taught my practice classes, I was surprised to discover that it was a lot of fun.  It was wonderful to interact with the children, and the Kindermusik curriculum was one that helped me to make the most of our 45 minute class times.

As a result, I get to play.  My work is literally child's play.  I plan for times that enrich and teach the children.  We talk about different sounds and imitate them.  We act like wild animals prowling, slithering, and swinging around.  We get to discover the many ways to play percussion instruments or new ways to dance.  These children give me energy--their play makes my day so much better. 

Three years ago, I was coming out of depression.  I had no energy, and I was sleeping a lot.  When I began teaching, I found purpose.  I found energy.  I found a calling to help these boys and girls and their families get the most out of their Kindermusik experience. 

Wow.  Isn't it amazing how some things drop into your life and change you?  Isn't it fun to play?

No comments: