Monday, July 19, 2010

Preaching

I really like to preach. Not just the standing in front of a congregation and delivering a sermon. It is also preparing a sermon. All the working with the text and figuring out the theological message that the author intended.

When I prepare a sermon, I am sometimes surprised by the way it turns out. Sometimes the theological message is one that I am not expecting at all. Yet there it is.

I never preach three points and a poem. My sermons are more circular--spiraling to the center and landing on the central message at the end. I like to tell stories, stories that are sometimes too personal. Religion is experiential you know.

When I preach, I have a sense that it is what I am supposed to do, where I belong. I can live off the high of delivering a sermon for a few days. I cannot imagine getting paid for something I love to do so much.

I currently preach about 5 times a year when area pastors ask me to fill in for them. I am glad my name is out there, that the pastors know who to call. I will be thankful for that and not dwell on the issue that if I were a man, I would have been pastoring a church for over ten years by now. It is true, you know.

There is a plan for my life, but it is a rare week that I don't wish that God would hurry up and reveal it to me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is good to see someone young into teaching the word.thank you and keep up the good work..

Koishii_Ookami said...

The Lord will show you His plan when the timing is perfect. It sucks not knowing what He is going to do with your life, but at the same time it adds some sort of thrill to it.

koishiiookami.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I read all your posts from July 2010 and I love them. Thank you for writing :D