Thursday, May 15, 2008

Birth Story of Baby #3

It has been a busy week as we have gotten baby #3 started in this world. It's a boy! He was born on Mother's Day at 8:47 AM--coming into this world fast and furious. I piddled around the house on Sunday and didn't leave for the hospital until 7. I had decided a few months ago that I would stay at home as long as possible before going to the hospital. Contractions were 4 minutes apart and lasting 1 minute. Even we my husband and I arrived at the hospital, I made him park; and I walked in! The person admitting me fussed at my husband for that.

By the time I started paying attention to the clock, it was a little after 8. I had been strapped to the external fetal monitor and the labor pains were coming quick. The nurse promised that the doctor would be right in, but my husband went to see how long it would be when he noticed how much pain I was in. Finally, I guess I had made enough noise because a resident came in to check me. I as at 9 cm already!! That was the first I had been checked. It immediately ruled out an epidural--this baby was coming naturally. I didn't even have time to get an IV.

I was rolled to the delivery room; and in just a few minutes, I told the nurse there that I needed to push. Sure enough, I was fully dilated. At that point, my water broke (I guess my earlier suspicions about my water breaking had really been part of my mucus plug).

Then the nurse told me not to push. They had to get the doctor in the room. I don't think you should tell a pregnant woman that. It seemed like forever before the doctor came (though it probably wasn't that long), and even he told me not to push (because he was putting his gloves on). Finally, they let me push (I had been screaming to let me push for several minutes). Baby #3 was born after just a couple of pushes. No epidural, no stitches.

He weighed in at 8 pounds, 12 ounces; and he was 21 1/4 inches long. His Apgars were 9 and 9.

I wanted to come home after one night in the hospital, but the baby had lost 10 ounces and the pediatrician wouldn't let him go. I had to stay until Tuesday morning.

We are transitioning into being a family of 5 now. This is quite an adventure. Hopefully, it will go okay, especially for boy #2.

No comments: